Phone Call Help
Instructions on how to call phone numbers in Korea
DIALING PROCEDURES (FROM DSN PHONE)
Base to Base: Dial the 7 digit DSN #
(Korea, Japan, Hawaii)
Commercial CONUS: Dial 99-0011-area code-7 digit
Cellular: Dial 99- then 10 or 11 digit #
CONUS DSN: Dial 312- 7 digit
Operator Assistance: Dial 0
Directory Assistance: Dial
DIALING PROCEDURES (FROM CELL PHONE)
From a cell phone to U.S:
From a cell phone to Okinawa DSN:
From a cell phone to Japan:
From Japan Cell phone to Korea DSN:
99-0061-82-11-XXX-XXXX (For Japanese cell phone numbers, drop leading
From a DSN phone to a cell phone dial: 99-CELL PHONE #
From a cell
phone to a cell phone dial: THE CELL PHONE #
From a cell phone to Seoul DSN
dial: 02-791X-XXXX or 0505-XXX-XXXX.
From a cell phone to Seoul Commercial:
From a cell phone to Osan DSN # dial: 031-661-XXXX
the U.S. to DSN in SEOUL dial: 011-822-791X-XXXX
From the U.S. to
commercial Seoul #: 011-822-XXX-XXXX
From the U.S. to a cell phone dial: 011-82-XX-XXXX-XXXX (drop leading zero from cell phone number)
Example: To dial from the US to a cell phone in Korea where the Korean
cell phone number is “010-6383-5302”: 011-82-10-6383-5302
ABOUT CELL PHONES
- American mobile phones do not work in Korea. There are some cell phones that may be converted to use back in the US. Buy a used cell phone from someone who is leaving or at one of the many stores outside the walk-through gate. New cell phones may be purchased at the shops in the PX, USO or off-post. Make sure the model you purchase has an English display option.
- Cell phone belong to their own network (011, 016, 019, etc), so you must always us the prefix or area code when calling to or from a cell phone.
- To use the phone, buy pre-paid calling cards at phone purchase locations, minimum 10,000₩, which is good for 30 days. Any amount remaining at the end of that period will expire unless more time is purchased for the phone. The remaining balace will then roll over and be added to the new purchase. If the phone is not reprogrammed with call time within 30 days the phone number will expire and it will have to be sent in to be refitted with a new number.
ABOUT VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol)
- VOIP services like Vonage, Broadvoice, MagicJack and Skype will not work with the local ISP provider on post (post housing).
- These services did work off post depending on the quality of service and broadband speeds.